Couscous consists of many tiny granules made from steamed and dried durum wheat,and has become quite popular among the mass . It has a light fluffy texture which is a little bland in flavour but which readily soaks up the flavours of other ingredients. Couscous originates from North Africa, and is the staple ingredient in the North African diet.
When I was back in India, I had never heard about this ingredient..Work always kept me very busy and on my toes. So the regular food itself kept me going good and never took the time to read about something new. Just tried cooking new dishes with the regular food supplies.
When we moved to Dubai, with no major domestic help. I took a decision to stay at home and spend time with my twin boys who ensured they kept me on my toes, but yes gave me sometime to get involved with something that I always loved ;Cooking and some bit of reading. So that’s when I started exploring new cuisines and I stumbled upon this ingredient called Couscous.
I decided to try something with this and I absolutely loved the flavour.
The juicy flavour of the pomegranate combined with the crunchy flavour of the toasted pine nuts makes it a perfect combination.
So now am sure you must be waiting to see the recipe. So here it is !!
Vegan/ Gluten Free
Serving Size : 2 Portions
Cooking time : 3-5 mins
Preparation Time : 5 mins
Total time : 10 mins
Meal Time : Lunch/Dinner(Can be accompanied with a soup)
- Couscous 1 cup
- Pomegranate 1 medium size
- Cucumber 1 medium size
- Cherry Tomatoes 1 Cup
- Pine Nuts 2 Tbsp(Roasted)
- Flax Seeds 1 tsp
- Salt To Taste
- Coriander Leaves 2 tbsp
- Lemon 1/2 medium size
- Oil (any oil) 2 drops
Method to cook the Couscous:
- Boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt.
- Once the water is boiled turn off the gas and add 1 cup of couscous to it along with 2 drops of oil.
- Cover the vessel with a lid for about 3 mins and then fluff the couscous with a fork once it gets cooked
Making the SALAD
- Chop the cucumber and cherry tomatoes into small pieces
- Peel the pomegranate and deseed the same
- In a bowl add the chopped cucumber,tomatoes,pomegranate seeds,and add the cooked couscous in it.
- Add salt to taste ,the lime juice and mix it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the roasted pine nuts.
- Sprinkle it with flax seeds
- Mix it well and serve.
Yummy and tasty couscous salad ready to eat!!!