Yesterday it was the birthday of my friend’s daughter and there was a party. Well, who does not love birthday parties. It’s so much fun, especially kids love birthday parties . Full of fun and frolic , birthday cake, return gifts ,games etc. We had a wonderful dinner and a good bonding time with friends .
Since we had a very heavy dinner last night, I thought of keeping the lunch simple and light. What would be, a better lunch than just having a soup and salad. Now since it was just a soup and salad , I wanted to make the salad a little interesting with a little bit of sweet and tangy taste .
I came up with this combination of fruits and some veggies and chickpeas .Does it sound interesting ?Well more than interesting it has an absolutely amazing taste.
Originally cultivated in the Mediterranean and the Middle East, chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, have spread their culinary influence to areas all over the world. They are featured prominently in Italian, Greek, Indian, Middle Eastern, Spanish and Portuguese cuisine.
Though the most common type of chickpea appears round and beige, other varieties include colors such as black, green, and red. Like other legumes such as beans, peas and lentils, chickpeas are prized for their high protein and fiber content, and also contain several key vitamins and minerals known to benefit human health.
With so many health benefits and taste , why not get the best of it !
Chickpea salad with pomegranate and crunchy apple!
Vegan / Gluten free
Serving size : 3 portions
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Chickpea 1 cup (either cooked or canned )
Pomegranate 1 medium size
Apple 1 medium size
Cucumber 1 medium size
Cherry tomatoes 1 cup
Carrot 1 medium size
Lemon 1 small
Salt To taste
Flaxseeds ( optional) 1 tsp
Coriander / parsley ( optional) 2 tbsp
- Chop the apples and cucumber into small pieces.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Grate the carrot and deseed the pomegranate.
- If you are using canned chickpeas drain them and wash it thoroughly under running water, else if it’s cooked chickpeas drain the water and keep it aside
- Now time to assemble all the ingredients.
- In a big bowl put the chickpeas, cucumber , carrot , apple , pomegranate, cherry tomatoes, and mix it well.
- Now add salt and lime juice and mix it again.
- Sprinkle some flax seeds ( optional)
- Garnish it with some Coriander or parsley leaves( again optional).
It can be served immediately or kept in the fridge for sometime and have it chilled !
Healthy and delicious salad ready to eat !