This evening when I was planning what dinner to make , I was so confused as to what do I make. I then asked my son what he feels like eating , he instantly told me “mama please make sandwiches”. I was happy since it’s an easy to make option and can make it in a short time with some tasty options.
My sons don’t like to eat spinach.I think it’s with most of the kids ,that they don’t enjoy spinach with it’s kind of bland taste. I thought now the best way to give them spinach would be in a form they don’t realize that they are eating spinach.So I immediately chopped some mushrooms , a bundle of spinach and thawed some frozen sweet corn and made a filling for the sandwich.
When I finally made the sandwich and gave it to them, the kids were so excited seeing it and on tasting it they were like “mama it’s so yummy , you make this everyday ! ” I was finally happy that I could give them healthy sandwich with the taste they enjoy.
A little information about these veggies that I have used for the sandwich.
Spinach is a super food loaded with tons of nutrients in a low calorie package.
Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, potassium and vitamin C. It is a very good source of dietary fiber.
Almost all of us are familiar with mushrooms and their miraculous, beneficial powers.The health benefits of mushrooms include relief from high cholesterol levels, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and diabetes. It also helps in weight loss, and increases the strength of your immune system.
Spinach Mushroom Corn Sandwich Delight!
Serving size. 8-9 sandwiches
Preparation time. 15 mins
Cooking time. 15 mins
Total time. 30 mins
Spinach 1 bundle
Mushroom 1 cup chopped
Sweet corn 1 cup
Mayonnaise 1 tbsp
Cheddar cheese 1/2 cup grated
Tomato sauce 1 tbsp
Salt To Taste
Pepper Powder 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Brown bread 15-18 pieces
Low fat cheese slices 8-10
Method to make the sandwich filling
- Wash the spinach well with salt water and chop them fine.
- Chop the mushroom into small pieces.
- Thaw the frozen sweet corn.In case you are using fresh corn you can use it directly
- Now in a pan, heat the oil and saute the chopped mushrooms, spinach and corn for about 5-8 mins.
- Now add in the mayonnaise, tomato sauce and cheese and mix it well.
- Finally add the salt and pepper according to taste and mix it well.
- It would be little loose in consistency when hot, but on cooling down the fillng would be just right
Method to make the sandwiches
- In a pan/tawa or griddle grease it with some ghee or butter and heat it
- Now when its hot, place two slices of bread and toast it both sides.
- Take a spoon and place the filling on one bread slice and the cheese slice on the other slice of the bread.
- Place one on top of the other and nicely allow the bread to brown till its nicely crisp and the cheese melts
- Serve it hot with some tomato sauce or mayonnaise as per your choice.
Hot and tasty sandwiches ready to eat! Kids would love this since its a little sweet and spicy, and also very healthy with all the veggies in it!