This morning when my sons were leaving to school , one of them immediately came to me and whispered in my ears saying ” mumma today when I come back from school I want to eat that yellow coloured rice ” and then he ran to the bus . I was now wondering which yellow colour rice was he referring to. I then thought why not make a slightly colorful rice for him so that he also gets a good surprise.
Cabbage is one another vegetable which my kids don’t enjoy. And I had a big huge cabbage lying in the fridge . I immediately chopped some cabbage and carrot and thawed some frozen green peas and made a yummy rice with it .
As soon as my sons came home , they were quite happy to see the rice with yellowish orange and with a tinge of green here and there. And on tasting it they were like ” mumma please make this everyday for us “. Now that was indeed a compliment. I was very happy that it was a win win situation for both of us . I wanted to feed them cabbage In some way and my kids wanted their coloured rice .
Cabbage is an abundant source of Vitamin C. You might be surprised to know that it is actually richer in vitamin C than oranges, which is traditionally considered the “best” source of that vital nutrient.It also helps in repairing the wear and tear on the body through the course of your life. Therefore, cabbage is very helpful in treating ulcers, certain cancers, depression, immune system boosting, and defending against cough and cold. It can also speed up the healing process for wounds and damaged tissues, regulate the ‘proper functioning of the nervous system, and reduce the effects and presence of Alzheimer’s disease and other degenerative neural diseases.
Carrots are one of the most widely used and enjoyed vegetables in the world, partly because they grow relatively easily, and are very versatile in a number of dishes and cultural cuisines.The health benefits of carrots include reduced cholesterol, prevention from heart attacks, warding off of certain cancers, improving vision, and reducing the signs of premature aging.
So now with some information on the veggies used , let me get down with the recipe .
Carrot Cabbage Green Peas Rice
Serving Size 3 portions
Preparation time 10 mins
Cook time 10 mins
Total time 20-30mins
Raw Rice 1 cup cooked
Carrots 1 medium grated
Cabbage 1 cup grated or chopped
Onion 1 medium size
Green peas 1/2 cup
Green chilly 1 medium size
Coconut Grated 1 cup
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Lemon 1 medium size
Curry leaves 4-5
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Chana dal/ Split Bengal gram 1 tsp
Urad dal/split black gram 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Cashew nuts 5-6
Ground nuts 1 tbsp
Garam Masala 1 tsp
- Finely chop the onions, grate the cabbage and carrot.
- If you are using frozen peas thaw them, else boil them and keep it ready.
- Slice the green chilly lengthwise into two pieces.
- In a pan add oil and once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, allow it to splutter.Then add the Chana dal/ Split Bengal gram ,Urad Dal/Split Black gram.
- Now add the cashwenuts, groundnuts and just roast it.
- Then add the curry leaves, green chilly and mix it.
- Add the chopped onions and allow it to turn a little pink
- Now add the grated cabbage,carrot and green peas and saute it well for about 5-6 mins till the cabbage and carrot gets cooked.
- add salt, turmeric powder and garam masala and mix it well.
- Finally add the cooked rice and mix it well and turn off the gas.
- Now add the grated coconut, lemon juice and mix it well.
- Finally garnish it with some corainder leaves
Hot tasty healthy rice can be served. It can be accompanied with some curds.Am sure everyone will love this rice including kids!