This morning the demand was Red Rice.The story begins like this .While at breakfast I asked my sons what would they like to eat for lunch when they come back from school. One son immediately says ” mumma you make me red rice ” ,to add on to that, my other son went in chorus with him. Since we were already running late ,I kind of promised them that I would make red rice .
I started to wonder how to make a red rice, but obviously I did not want to add any food colour to it .The only other way to get this nice red colour would be to make something out of beetroot.I had never made any rice with beetroot till date , and I also had a beetroot in the fridge ,so thought of experimenting some new recipe with this.
Interestingly, the rice turned out very tasty and my sons were so happy to get their red rice. The younger twin is telling me ” mumma give me the same rice for dinner “.No doubt the best critics are usually kids. Beetroot again is yet another vegetable which my kids don’t enjoy. So it was the just the perfect recipe for me to ensure that this very healthy vegetable benefits are gained by them.
Beetroot is a dark red vegetable with an acquired taste that has been linked with better stamina, improved blood flow and lower blood pressure.If you’re considering beetroot as one of your 5-a-day, it contains potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B6 and C, folic acid, carbohydrates, protein, antioxidants and soluble fibre.
It’s difficult to resist the ruby red juiciness especially when you know just how good they are for you – the many beetroot benefits.It helps in detoxification, heart health, rich in antioxidants.
With a little knowledge about beetroot and it’s benefits ,let us look at the recipe .
Flavourful and Colourful Beetroot Rice
Serving Size : 2 portions
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 15-20 mins
Total Time : 30-35 mins
Meal Time : Lunch/ Dinner
Cooked Rice 1 cup
Beetroot 1 cup grated
Onion 1 medium
Green chilly 1 medium
Curry leaves 4-5
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Chana dal/ Split Bengal gram 1 tsp
Urad dal/split black gram 1 tsp
Ground nuts 1 tsp
Sesame seeds 1 tbsp
Curry powder/ sambhar powder 1 tbsp
Coconut grated 2-3 tbsp
Lime juice 1/2 lemon
Cashew nuts 5-6
Oil/Ghee 1 tbsp
- In a pan heat some oil/ghee (I used ghee since it enhances the flavour) and add the mustard seeds when the oil is hot.
- Once the mustard seeds start to splutter add the Chana dal , urad dal, cashew nuts and ground nuts and saute a bit till it gets turns a little golden brown .
- Now add the curry leaves,green chilly and saute it.
- It’s time to add the onions and saute it till the onions turns little translucent
- Now add the grated beetroot and saute everything together.
- Add salt,turmeric, curry powder and mix well.
- Once the beetroot gets cooked add the cooked rice and mix it well.
- Now add the sesame seeds and mix it well.
- Turn off the gas and then add the lime juice , grated coconut and mix it well
Hot and tasty red rice / beetroot rice ready to eat.It can be accompanied with some curd or pickle .