This weekend was just amazing catching up with my school friend and my MBA friends. This school friend of mine, came home for dinner and we had ordered some yummy amazing food from this vegetarian restaurant. As always assuming that all of us would eat more , ended up ordering more. But like always when friends meet , nothing more is important than sitting and talking and catching up on old times and but obviously the food takes a second lead. So I was left with some rotis . I just let it be thinking I would use the same the next day. But could not use it since I was out the whole day.
This evening when I was wondering what do I make for a quick snack for the evening chai, these left over rotis caught my attention.So I immediately chopped into small pieces and kept in the oven for it to become crisp. Once it was done quickly made an amazing chaat.
My parents hubby and kids just loved it. I was equally happy that the food did not get wasted and I could make something really tasty out of it .
These rotis /whole wheat tortillas are definitely nutritious.Whole grain products such as whole wheat tortillas, brown rice, quinoa, cornmeal, wild rice, barley and oatmeal are nutritionally superior to refined grains because they are less processed.
With the addition of pomegranate , the nutritional value of the meal only doubles.The health benefits of pomegranates are innumerable and what makes them special is that apart from being healthy, pomegranates are delicious too. Pomegranates have anti-oxidant, anti-viral and anti-tumor properties and are said to be a good source of vitamins, especially vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E, as well as folic acid.
Let us have a look at this very easy to make recipe with left over rotis or whole wheat tortillas.
Serving Size 2-3 portions
Preparation Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins
Total time 20-25 mins
Rotis / whole wheat tortillas 3-4
Pomegranate 1 medium
Onion 1 medium
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Salt To taste
Green chutney 2-3 tbsp
Sweet tamarind chutney 2-3 tbsp
Chaat masala 1 tsp
Sev 2-3 tbsp
Ingredients to make green chutney
Green chilies 2-3
Coriander. 1 big bunch
Mint leaves 1 small cup
Lemon 1 medium
Onion 1/2 onion
Salt To taste
Method to make the green chutney
-Blend all the ingredients mentioned above in a blender/ mixer with just 2-3 tbsp of water.
-Adjust the salt and chilly according to taste
( this can be stored in fridge for atleast 10- 15 days )
Ingredients to make sweet tamarind chutney
Seedless dates/deseeded dates 1/2cup
Seedless tamarind 1/3cup
Water 3 cups
Jaggery powder or grated 1/3 cup
Salt To taste
Roasted cumin powder 1/2 tsp
Red chillies powder 1/2 tsp
Dry ginger powder 1/2 tsp
Method to make the chutney
– Take seedless tamarind and dates in a saucepan
– Add 3 cups of water and turn heat to medium
– Let it come to a boil and simmer it for 7-8 mins
-Then add jaggery,salt, roasted cumin powder, red chilly powder and dry ginger powder
– Mix well and let it simmer for about 10-15 mins.
– Let the mixture cool down to room temperature and then with the help of a mixer or blender grind into a smooth paste
– Strain the chutney using a strainer.
– Sweet chutney is ready to use, let it cool down completely before storing in a jar.
– The chutney can be stored for a very long time.
Method to make the Roti Chaat
– Preheat the oven to 180 Deg for about 5 mins.
– In the meanwhile chop the Roti into small pieces and place it on a baking tray.
– Keep it for about 10-15 mins till it becomes crisp.
– once it’s crisp take it out and place it In a bowl to slightly cool down.
– Now time to assemble the rest of ingredients.
– Put in the deseeded pomegranate and chopped onions in the Roti bowl.
– Now add the green chutney ,sweet chutney ,salt , chaat masala and mix everything well .
– Adjust the salt and spice to taste
– Now garnish it with coriander leaves and sev
Tasty and yummy Roti Chaat ready to serve
It can be accompanied with a hot cup of tea.