The weather in Dubai has been quite cold the last few days. The urge to have something hot and tasty along with a nice hot cup of tea seems to be even more. The afternoon meal today was rice with curry and I ended up making a little more quantity of rice. As mentioned since the weather is cold and having my parents to visit us, I wanted to make them something for the evening tea.The best snack would be something hot. Fritters/ pakoda was what came up to my mind.
I thought as to why not try something innovative.The left over cooked rice is what came to my mind. So chopped some veggies added some oats and chickpea flour and made a quick snack.
My kids just couldn’t stop eating it. My parents also loved the same. I was happy as I could use the left over rice and also make something tasty and yummy.
The next time you know what to do if there is leftover cooked rice.Lets take a quick look at the recipe.
Serving Size 2-3 portions
Preparation Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 15-20 mins
Total Time 25-30 mins
Meal Time Evening snack
Cooked Rice 1 cup
Chickpea Flour/ Besan 1/4 cup
Oats 1/4 cup
Salt To Taste
Baking soda A pinch
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Carom seeds/ Ajwain 1 tsp
Onion 1 medium
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Curry leaves 1 tbsp
Capsicum 1 medium
Oil ( to deep fry) 1 cup
Water 2-3 tbsp
– Chop the onions and capsicum into small pieces
– Clean and chop the coriander and curry leaves into small pieces
– In a big bowl mash the cooked rice throughly. Now add the chickpea flour/ besan, oats along with the rice and mash it well again
-Now add the salt baking soda chilli powder coriander leaves curry leaves capsicum and mix it well.Adjust the salt and spice to taste .
– Add water slowly since the batter needs to be very thick like a cookie dough consistency
– Parallely keep a pan with oil for heating.
– Once the oil is heated , take small portions with your fingers and put in the oil
– Keep turning it on both sides and allow it to fry till it turns nice golden brown.
Serve it hot along with sauce or mint chutney.
Tasty and yummy rice fritters ready to eat with a nice hot cup of tea / coffee