Hailing from the south of India,from the very well known God’s Own Country, I decided to make one of the traditional food today for lunch, which is very healthy tasty and easy to make.
Most of us would have heard about Tapioca( called as Kappa in Malayalam).Tapioca(Kappa) used to be considered as poor man’s food. It was a good starchy substitute for rice for those who cant afford rice. But over a period of time, it got transformed from poor man’s staple to an exotic dish.
It is a tropical root plant used in Asia, Africa and South America because it’s plentiful and inexpensive., It is a sweet, starchy and nut-flavored tuber which can be boiled, baked or fried, cooked and dried for later use, or fermented.It also contains saponins that can ease inflammation, break down organic body wastes like uric acid, cleanse mineral deposits from your joints and help balance your gut flora.Being naturally gluten-free, it is extremely useful for celiac patients and others trying to avoid gluten.
This Tapioca/ Kappa has been boiled to have a smooth almost buttery texture with an extra crunch added by the coconut. The typical combination which you would find this kappa or Tapioca being served in Kerala is with fish curry. Now me being a vegetarian the other best combination is with spicy shallot chutney.
Going ahead with the recipe , let us have a look as to how to make this simple yet tasty dish.
Serving Size 2-3 portions
Preparation Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 15-20 mins
Meal type Breakfast /lunch/Dinner
Kappa/Tapioca 1 kg
Coconut 1 cup
Green chilli 4-5
Garlic 2-3 pods
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 4-5
Salt To Taste
Coconut oil 1 tsp
Water 2-3 cups
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp
Red chillies 2-3
- Clean the Tapioca and chop into small cubes
- Add water and salt to cleaned tapioca. The water level should be 2-3 inches higher than tapioca. Add some turmeric and Bring it to a boil and reduce the flame to the lowest.
- Cook till the tapioca is done.Drain the excess water.Mash the tapioca well.
- Combine coconut,green chilli, garlic, jeera, curry leaves and turmeric powder using your finger tip.
- Make a well in the centre of the mashed tapioca and add coconut mixture. Cover it with tapioca.Cover and cook it for 5 – 7 mins on low flame. Mix it well.
- You can drizzle some coconut oil at this stage, if you like.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard and urad dal.
- Add in some curry leaves and two red chillies.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked Tapioca and mix it well .
- Serve it hot with an accompaniment like shallot chutney
Shallots 1 cup
Coconut 1/2 cup
Red chillies 8-9
Curry leaves 4-5
Salt To taste
Tamarind 1 tsp
- Clean the shallots well.
- In a pan, add some coconut oil and fry the onions till they turn brown and then remove from the pan.
- In the same pan add little more oil and fry the coconut till it turns golden brown and remove it from the pan
- Take the red chillies and fry them in the same pan with a little oil.
- Once all this comes to room temperature put all this in a blender the coconut shallots, red chillies, tamarind and salt and grind to a smooth paste with some water
- Adjust the salt and spice to taste
- Serve this chutney with the Kappa/Tapioca
Its an amazing combination and the taste would remain in your mouth for long.