Orange peels ! Yes you heard it right- a dish with orange peels.
When we talk about orange peels , the only thought which comes to our mind immediately is to dry them and make a beauty pack , else to use it as a deodorizer.
There are quite a few uses of orange peels which we do come across in our daily lives.
Oranges are one of the most popular fruits , but very few consume the peel, which is arguably the healthiest part of the whole fruit. Orange peels are rich in flavonoids which are known for their role in helping to prevent chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer.
They have an intense orange and bitter flavor, but the latter is often a clue that a food is healthy; the bitter taste is the result of the many flavonoids that orange peels contain.
The peel may offer a range of additional health benefits as well, including,improve digestion and speed metabolism, oral health, skin appearance,support healthy weight loss.
Am sure most of us would have not known ,about the benefits of consuming orange peels. Now knowing a few of these benefits,lets go ahead with the recipe
Orange Peel curry
Serving Size 8-10 portions
Preparation Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 20-25 mins
Total Time 30 -40mins
Orange Peels Peel of 2 large oranges
Onion 1 medium size
Green chilly 5-6 medium size
Curry leaves 8-10
Tamaind 1/2 cup
Jaggery 1/2-3/4 cup
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Methi/fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Red chillies 2-3
Oil 1 tbsp
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Salt To taste
- Thoroughly wash the orange peels to remove any chemicals or dirt in it.
- Soak the tamarind in a bowl of hot water.
- Cut the orange peels into very small pieces.
- Chop the onions into small pieces.
- Finely chop the green chillies .
- In a pan put oil and once its hot ,put the mustard seeds and allow it to crackle .
Once the mustard crackles , add the methi seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Allow the methi seeds to turn golden brown.
- At this stage add the onions and green chillies and sauté it well till the onion turns a little pink.
- Now add the orange peels and sauté it for about 5 mins .
- Pour in the tamarind extract and stir it well with orange peel mix and onions .
- Add salt chilli powder jaggery turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Allow it to cook for about 15-20 mins on a medium flame so that the flavours get incorporated well.
- Turn off the gas and you can serve it hot as an accompaniment with Rice bread Roti or any other snack.
- You can keep it in fridge for about 10-15 days for consumption.
A little bitter sweet spicy tangy tasty dish ready to be accompanied with some hot rice ,breads, rotis etc..